Leaky Gut Syndrome - Treatment in London
Those who are reading this probably already know what leaky gut is and may even have spent years trying to heal their gut. Most nutritionists are able to deal with leaky gut issues. For resistant cases, what we offer as a doctor based practice is the added benefit of being able to prescribe uncommon medications that most GPs may not be familiar with. Some of these medications are rifaximin, LDN (low dose naltrexone), valgancyclovir, valacyclovir amongst others. Being a hormonally based practice, quite frequently, we also utilise hormones where a rebalancing is required and to speed up recovery.
As such, we have a 2 tier level of consultation costs. From experience, we find that younger patients usually fare well with the basic consultation but older patients fare better with the full consultation. For basic consultation, we do require that you have worked with a nutritionist before or have a referral letter.
We are able to organise tests for you. Alternatively, if you have already done them and want the doctor to analyse them, an interpretation fee is applicable for the doctor's time. We will work with your budget to ascertain the best options for testing where required. We have also opted not to use the same lab for all testing but instead, have used our experience to source the best tests as not all lab tests are equal. Labs used are Genova, Regenerus, Biolab, TDL, AONM Armin Labs amongst others. Possible tests done are:
- SIBO breath analysis
- Comprehensive stool testing
- Urine organic acid testing
- Adrenal testing where applicable
- Lyme disease testing where applicable
- Most other tests where required
- Cyrex testing
**All additional tests above are charged separately from the consultation, please enquire as to the cost of each test you would like to conduct. Each test will also have an additional charge for interpreation costs.
+ What does a consultation with Dr Bains include?
- Pre-consultation questionnaires via email
- Consultation which lasts up to 90 minutes
- Blood tests carried out in-house (charged separately) **
- Detailed summary and management plan after assessing the bloods and consultation via email
- A 15-20 mins discussion with the Doctor via phone/Skype/in person/email once you've received your report
- Ongoing clinical support via email/phone
- This is a very bespoke and detailed management plan to get the best outcome possible
- Total time spent per patient by the Doctor is around 2.5 hours
- These are at an extra cost depending on what is required and lab charges. Please budget between £405-£420 for blood tests. The exact amount will differ according to whether you're a male or female, your age (older age groups require a few more tests), additional information (e.g if extra thyroid tests are required).
- What the test covers: basic general profile, detailed hormonal profile, bone metabolism where required, inflammatory mediators, basic cholesterol assessment and Vitamin D. The test is very detailed and covers most aspects but in some people, a few extra tests may be required to gain more information and aid diagnosis and management.
- We offer a complementary blood draw service at our clinic for our patients or will be able to help you source a location for the draw if you live outside London.
- Dr Bains also requests that all blood draws to be done here at the clinic as she has created a very specific protocol for what she tests, some of which are hard to obtain within the NHS.
- How often would tests need to be carried out: You'll be required to have a smaller blood screen in month 3 and month 9 and thereafter, yearly.
- This is generally done 3-4 months after the initial consultation to reassess management and adjust where necessary.
- This is done in-house along with a smaller blood screen
- Thereafter, we recommend a follow up on month 9 and yearly after that.
New Patient Consultation 90 minutes*
- Consultation £450 / blood circa £420
Follow-up Consultation 30 minutes
- Consultation £200 + blood tests circa £220
How to budget for the year
- Initial outlay will be consultation and blood tests, circa £900
- Prescription: this will depend on individual circumstances but works on a minimum of around £50/month for menopause, thyroid and andropause (testosterone) and increases slightly for other hormones. A more optimised regime will tend to cost more. This will be explained during consultation and patients are encouraged to take their time to decide what they would like to do.
- Supplementation: this will depend on your individual circumstances again and you can choose to source your own supplements or we can direct you to websites that we have vetted.
Any questions? Contact us here quickly: