A quick stop-gap whilst we collect our thoughts to write on this page...
Our approach to excessive alcohol consumption, whether or not one considers it a dependency, is not the "all or nothing" approach adapted by many organisations. We believe that whilst that approach may help some, its frequently unrealistic for the vast majority, as evidence by the high failure rate.
We use medications such as Naltrexone and Baclofen amongst others, which reduces cravings and so enables the person to derive the same pleasure from drinking, lets say 2 pints instead of 10. This approach does a few things:
- it buys time until someone has the mental and physical resources to do more
- for some, this works long term and is a good compromise
- financially, it is much less crippling
- it eases the burden on the family or carer
- its emotionally more acceptable, with no real 'failure' element
- it enables one to bring some control back where the option of complete abstinence is not feasible or perhaps desirable
- it enables the continuation of life as you know it, without needing to take time off work; including social life
We are already seeing patients for this but as part of the full medical service that we offer. However, being in the city where drinking is very much part of the working culture, we understand that not everyone will require a full medical work-up; hence the idea of creating a more cost effective consult for this. We are launching this service with alcohol initially but these medications are licensed for all addictions or dependencies.
+ What does a consultation with Dr Bains include?
- Consultation which lasts up to 60 minutes
- Ongoing clinical support via email/phone
- This is a very bespoke management plan to get the best outcome possible
- We require a liver function screen, the test can be done in-house and costs £41 + £35 phlebotomy. We are happy to accept a test taken by your practitioner within the last 3 months.
- Other tests are not compulsory, should the doctor suggest a test, they are at an extra cost depending on what is required and lab charges. The exact amount will differ according to whether you're a male or female and your age.
- If you feel you have other, more complicated factors such as hormonal imbalance, we suggest booking in for the detailed Full Medical Consultation with blood tests.
- This is generally done every 4 months in the first year commencing initial consultation to reassess management and adjust where necessary.
- Thereafter, we recommend a follow up on month 9 and yearly after that.
New Patient Consultation 60 minutes
- Consultation Dr Harpal £265
- Consultation Dr Baldeep £200
Follow-up Consultation 20 minutes
- Consultation £85
How to budget for the year
- Prescription: this will depend on individual circumstances but works on a minimum of around £40/month for non-hormonal drugs. A more optimised regime will tend to cost more. This will be explained during consultation and patients are encouraged to take their time to decide what they would like to do.
- Supplementation: this will depend on your individual circumstances again and you can choose to source your own supplements or we can direct you to websites that we have vetted.