Weight Loss Clinic in London
Myth or Fact:
A calorie in is a calorie out
All calories are created equal
You are what you eat
Who do you blame for your weight gain? Is it genetics, your lifestyle, your food habits or ageing? Or maybe it isn't your fault. But how can you really know?
Weight management is not as simple as counting calories, spending more time in the gym, drinking a magic shake, or popping a diet pill. In fact, it is fairly complex, it is about giving your body the right tools so that your body can fight off the source of weight gain by itself.
Why you gain weight:
- For some people it's simple a matter of excess calories, where they are eating calories surplus to requirements.
- Chronic stress could be causing a steroid like weight gain (weight gain predominately on the face and middle with slim arms and legs).
- Intolerance to foods which cause a bloat like weight gain. This is usually very insidious and reactions are usually mild and only appear after a few hours to days. The problem with this is that you'll keep eating the offending food and so your body is constantly fighting. This has long term implications including weight gain.
- You are eating the wrong types of food and hence causing a state of insulin resistance.
- You may have leptin resistance. Leptin is the hormone that tells the brain when you're full.
- You may have hormonal imbalances eg thyroid, adrenals, polycystic ovaries, low testosterone etc.
We want to get to the root of your weight gain and we want a long-term permanent solution. If you understand what is wrong, it empowers you to put it right. You could very well be one of those people who say that they "cannot possibly have another bite" and actually mean it.
This service is for all levels of weight management from severely obese to 'just a little to lose'.
+ What does a consultation with Dr Bains include?
- Pre-consultation questionnaires via email
- Consultation which lasts up to 90 minutes
- Blood tests carried out in-house (charged separately) **
- Detailed summary and management plan after assessing the bloods and consultation via email
- A 15-20 mins discussion with the Doctor via phone/Skype/in person/email once you've received your report
- Ongoing clinical support via email/phone
- This is a very bespoke and detailed management plan to get the best outcome possible
- Total time spent per patient by the Doctor is around 2.5 hours
- These are at an extra cost depending on what is required and lab charges. Please budget between £405-£420 for blood tests. The exact amount will differ according to whether you're a male or female, your age (older age groups require a few more tests), additional information (e.g if extra thyroid tests are required).
- What the test covers: basic general profile, detailed hormonal profile, bone metabolism where required, inflammatory mediators, basic cholesterol assessment and Vitamin D. The test is very detailed and covers most aspects but in some people, a few extra tests may be required to gain more information and aid diagnosis and management.
- We offer a complementary blood draw service at our clinic for our patients or will be able to help you source a location for the draw if you live outside London.
- Dr Bains also requests that all blood draws to be done here at the clinic as she has created a very specific protocol for what she tests, some of which are hard to obtain within the NHS.
- How often would tests need to be carried out: You'll be required to have a smaller blood screen in month 3 and month 9 and thereafter, yearly.
- This is generally done 3-4 months after the initial consultation to reassess management and adjust where necessary.
- This is done in-house along with a smaller blood screen
- Thereafter, we recommend a follow up on month 9 and yearly after that.
New Patient Consultation 90 minutes*
- Consultation £450 / blood circa £420
Follow-up Consultation 30 minutes
- Consultation £200 + blood tests circa £220
How to budget for the year
- Initial outlay will be consultation and blood tests, circa £900
- Prescription: this will depend on individual circumstances but works on a minimum of around £50/month for menopause, thyroid and andropause (testosterone) and increases slightly for other hormones. A more optimised regime will tend to cost more. This will be explained during consultation and patients are encouraged to take their time to decide what they would like to do.
- Supplementation: this will depend on your individual circumstances again and you can choose to source your own supplements or we can direct you to websites that we have vetted.
Any questions? Contact us here quickly: