Thyroid Clinic in London
It is known as the metabolic hormone as it controls all metabolic processes in all the cells in your body. Hypothyroidism is becoming more and more prevalent because the number of people suffering from it has increased and the number of people already on medications which seem to have stopped working has also increased tremendously.
People suffering from thyroid problems may feel sluggish, depressed, have thinning and brittle hair and nails, notice weight gain, have dry and scaly skin, a loss of libido and always cold.
Most GPs will offer levothyroxine which is a synthetic T4 version of the thyroid hormone which needs to be converted to the active T3 version which your body can use. In some people the conversion step is dysfunctional hence you will find that your blood tests look normal, but you don't feel normal. In others you may be getting the normal blood levels of thyroid hormone but their body cannot utilise the hormones because the receptor sites are blocked. In others their bodies may be attacking the thyroid gland which results in auto-immune thyroiditis.
Routine labs include TSH, Free T3, Free T4. Additional tests as required can be added if considered relevant such as reverse T3 and thyroid antibodies. Our routine labs are very comprehensive and gives a good overview of how your other hormonal systems are working, inflammation in your body as well as other parameters to give a holistic view of how your body is functioning. Please call for more details.
Management can be as simple as replacing T3 to a fairly complex and comprehensive affair depending on the aetiology of your hypothyroidism. In some, basic replacement suffice whilst in others, adrenals may need to be managed better, other hormonal parameters optimised; leaky gut (where present) properly managed; in Hashimoto's, or autoimmune thyroiditis, the autoimmune component needs to be managed so that the body stops attacking itself so much. You will be advised and guided in all these components as part of your consultation and management.
+ What does a consultation with Dr Bains include?
- Pre-consultation questionnaires via email
- Consultation which lasts up to 90 minutes
- Blood tests carried out in-house (charged separately) **
- Detailed summary and management plan after assessing the bloods and consultation via email
- A 15-20 mins discussion with the Doctor via phone/Skype/in person/email once you've received your report
- Ongoing clinical support via email/phone
- This is a very bespoke and detailed management plan to get the best outcome possible
- Total time spent per patient by the Doctor is around 2.5 hours
- These are at an extra cost depending on what is required and lab charges. Please budget between £405-£420 for blood tests. The exact amount will differ according to whether you're a male or female, your age (older age groups require a few more tests), additional information (e.g if extra thyroid tests are required).
- What the test covers: basic general profile, detailed hormonal profile, bone metabolism where required, inflammatory mediators, basic cholesterol assessment and Vitamin D. The test is very detailed and covers most aspects but in some people, a few extra tests may be required to gain more information and aid diagnosis and management.
- We offer a complementary blood draw service at our clinic for our patients or will be able to help you source a location for the draw if you live outside London.
- Dr Bains also requests that all blood draws to be done here at the clinic as she has created a very specific protocol for what she tests, some of which are hard to obtain within the NHS.
- How often would tests need to be carried out: You'll be required to have a smaller blood screen in month 3 and month 9 and thereafter, yearly.
- This is generally done 3-4 months after the initial consultation to reassess management and adjust where necessary.
- This is done in-house along with a smaller blood screen
- Thereafter, we recommend a follow up on month 9 and yearly after that.
New Patient Consultation 90 minutes*
- Consultation £450 / blood circa £420
Follow-up Consultation 30 minutes
- Consultation £200 + blood tests circa £220
How to budget for the year
- Initial outlay will be consultation and blood tests, circa £900
- Prescription: this will depend on individual circumstances but works on a minimum of around £50/month for menopause, thyroid and andropause (testosterone) and increases slightly for other hormones. A more optimised regime will tend to cost more. This will be explained during consultation and patients are encouraged to take their time to decide what they would like to do.
- Supplementation: this will depend on your individual circumstances again and you can choose to source your own supplements or we can direct you to websites that we have vetted.
Any questions? Contact us here quickly: